The New Renter’s Starter Kit
Moving into your first apartment? Congratulations! Aside from furniture, there are quite a few things you’ll want to have to make your first place feel more like a cozy home. Following are some suggestions for what to buy before and after move-in day.
Establishing a new home requires a surprising amount of textiles to keep things both comfortable and functional. Make sure to check all of these off of your list before moving in:
- Sheet set, including pillowcases
- Comforter, blanket, or duvet
- Bath towels, hand towels, and washcloths
- Kitchen towels
- Throw blanket(s)
If you have a dog, you’ll also want a few towels just for bath time, or for wiping mudding paws after a romp in the Williamsburg North dog park.
With so many great restaurants nearby, it may be tempting to order takeout every day of the week, but cooking at home is a more budget-friendly option. Basic kitchen items you’ll need include:
- Pots, pans, and baking sheets
- Plates and bowls
- Silverware and utensils (a spatula is essential)
- Measuring cups and spoons
Build your inventory of kitchen items over time, and don’t forget to check thrift stores – secondhand kitchen items (some still in the original packaging) cost a lot less than brand new ones.
Once you’re all moved into your first apartment, it’s important to be able to keep it clean. Start with these basic supplies:
- Multipurpose cleanser
- Lightweight vacuum that works for carpet and hard floors
- Mop and bucket
- Static duster
- Glass cleaner
- Microfiber cloths
- Dish soap
- Dishwasher soap
Chances are, at some point you’ll need to make some minor repairs to your belongings, particularly if you’ve assembled your own flat-pack furniture. A basic toolkit should include:
- Phillips and flat head screwdrivers
- Tape measure
- Duct tape
- Command hooks for damage-free hanging on walls
Storage – large or small – is necessary in every room in the apartment.
Make sure you have:
- Food storage, like glass or plastic containers for leftovers
- Storage for toiletries and bathroom items to keep things organized and easy to find
- Book and media storage – consider bookshelves with doors or drawers for a less cluttered look
Welcome to Williamsburg North!
Williamsburg North is known for our conveniently located and comfortably sized apartments. Once you see what our apartments offer, we think you’ll be ready to live here! Call us now to schedule your virtual or in-person tour: (317) 648-5854.